The Faculty of Sciences was established as Faculty of Physics and Mathematics Sciences in the same time with the establishment of University of Thessaloniki on 14 June 1925 according to the Law 3341/1925. On 1982 (Law 1286/1982) the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics Sciences was renamed to Faculty of Sciences which consists of six Schools:
1. School of Physics 2. School of Mathematics 3. School of Biology 4. School of Chemistry 5. School of Geology 6. School of Informatics
The Faculty of Sciences has as emblem the bust of ancient philosopher Theophrastus (372 BC), who was an exemplary teacher of natural sciences and philosophy.